Monday, January 09, 2006

Guitars in my life.


I had a request last week to show and talk about some of the guitars I have used over the years. My very first instrument was a plastic 'Tommy Steele" ukelele. My Mom
then bought a steel strung accoustic for me. It was difficult to play, just like a lot of the cheaper guitars of that time and finally my Dad bought me an electric Hohner guitar. It was quite nice. I think he did'nt realize we then had to buy an amplifier.
The Bluebeats recorded in Decca Studios, London in 1964 and the local music store loaned me a Fender Telecaster and a Vox ac-30 amp. I wanted to keep them both but ended up just buying the amp. Later I came across a Gibson Les Paul Junior and I traded the Hohner for it. It was a great little guitar. The only drawback was it didn't have enough variation in tone. In 1965 I came across the Gretsch Chet Atkins Hollowbody and with some help from my Mom traded up once more. That guitar cost about $700.00 used. That was about half the annual salary of most factory workers of the time. I felt very fortunate and was immensly proud of it. I still have it today and still use it. It was played on the Fishermen of Fleetwood album in the song.. The Dolphin Bar. I think it was manuctured in 1961 and find it hard to believe that I have had it for almost 45 years.
The Photo was taken in 1972 in Atlanta by Jerry Hearde.

No comments: